When choosing a new training environment or seeking out a Personal Trainer to work with, there are some basic things that you should look out for to make sure you are getting value for money and also an enjoyable experience.
When choosing a gym:
- How are you greeted when you enter the building, do the staff know who you are and are they welcoming? This is your first indication of the type of environment you are stepping into. Essentially, do they care?
- Do they have a clear “Onboarding process.” A step by step guide, ideally delivered in person to walk you through anything you need to know about the facility and show you how to maximise your membership.
- Is the space clean, tidy and organised? Also, is this aspect consistent (or are the dumbbells always in a different place each time you workout?)
When choosing a PT:
- Do they have a clear insurance process in place, Health and Safety forms and waivers?
- Do they have a process for clearly identifying your goals and what you are hoping to achieve and a way to measure that progress?
- Are they organised and on time? A great coach will have a clear plan (based on your goal), will be ready and organised before starting your training session.
- Do they offer “Off the gym floor” support? Most progress is made away from the gym, providing accountability off the gym floor is a defining factor for long term progress.
- Are they training you in line with your ability?
- Is the process enjoyable? Training isn’t designed to be fun, it is designed to get results. However, the overall experience should be enjoyable and engage you in your health and fitness.
If you are looking to engage in your health and fitness and yet to find the right place or person to help you, why not book a Free Intro here at SHIFT and we can show you how we do things!